Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reading multiple books in parallel......

I have made a pact that I am going to go through some real old books, books that have their own place in literature- in fiction for most part.This also means that I would have to go through some pretty deep stuff.

I have picked up Catch-22, an American literary classic. It has been described as funny and explosive. I am sorry to say that the first 50 pages that I have just zipped through are anything but that. Despite this, I have a feeling I am going to love this book once I finish it. That would mean going through 448 pages, and right now, that seems like a daunting task considering the fact that I am as distracted as I get while studying!

I have always read one book at a time- non-academic of course. My catch-22 situation (not in the literal sense- the term originated from this book FYI) made me think- I have to read something else  for my hour odd/day of casual reading alongside Catch-22 to avoid dropping it completely, at least till I find it riveting (which hopefully at some point I would). I just wanted to know if a lot of people do this. So I went to google, and to my surprise, a lot of people who love to read, read multiple novels at the same time, alongside their daily dose of academic/vocational/devotional reading, newspapers and what not. So I have decided to give it a shot! I do have 3-4 books lying around, that I really, really want to read. I am about to open one of them, which is not really completely unrelated to my field of education- Epidemiology. Given its genre of read, I doubt I would ever get through it in its 300 odd pages of totality in one go, on its own. This seems like a plan.

The blog post at 1:07 AM because I was sleepy at 11 PM; I did not turn the lights off and bury myself into my blanket; now can't sleep! It looks like this is going to be another long long night.......

2 comments:

Shehla said...

Yeh that happens to me too, decide to sleep 'on time' and end up sleeping at 2am-ish, give or take an hour :P

Guru said...

Ya well, there is this book which I've read....it's about sleep. apparently you should avoid keeping television sets and monitors in your bedroom. The light combination creates a sort of hypnotic state in the brain, which potentially disturbs sleep. So, as soon as you feel a little sleepy....off goes the computer