Monday, March 15, 2010

Effective Reading can't be a habit....it's got to be an addiction!!!

People catch the bug from different places...I got it from my mother. Books.
I have been, what I would call, an avid reader most of my life, at least if I average it out! There have been phases where I have ripped on 300+pages of fiction day in and day out. There have been times when I have not read a page of casual literature for days together.
We all learn from really early on in life that reading is a good habit, probably the one to have. I would go on to say that it would be inappropriate to call, at least casual reading, a habit, per se. For if it is a good habit, and people know that already, you would see the whole world immersed in "non-academic" reading. But no. I would go on to call it more of an addiction, and one that really depends on what one reads early on in life (reading life, if you will).  I was lucky to have a mother who is closer to voracious in her reading, help me there. I started with the Archie comic series very very early in life. Even though it might have different connotations today, I did enjoy it a lot back then. Then came the Famous Five series and Enid Blyton overall. HARDY BOYS-rite of passage to more serious stuff. By the time I was there, standing at the end of my 150th odd Hardy Boys book (the whole series), I was so into it, that I really did not need much effort to get engrossed in books.
Medical School changed it all. Casual reading was replaced by no reading, because academic reading did not give me pleasure. I knew that it would be good for me, but unless it was a subject I loved, I would not read.  I COULD NOT DEVELOP THE HABIT.
During the same years, along came the Harry Potter series (not the only books I read all along medical school!!!). And once again, I was reading like a maniac, hitting a book/30 odds hours.
I feel sorry for the people who have not had people show them enjoyable reads early in the day. I know most of the people who read this blog....I know you guys are all fine......In case someone not as fortunate in this respect comes along at random, I would be more than happy to help with basic pleasant reads and suggestions. I may not be your "superhero print seeker", but I sure know who needs to read what to feel what!
Happy reading folks!!!!

No comments: