Saturday, July 10, 2010

Despicable Me....What a good movie!

I was kind of apprehensive about going for 'Despicable me'. I went for 'The Last Airbender' a couple of days back; it almost made me lose my faith in the art of movie-making. Shyamalan has certainly come a long way since he made Sixth Sense; his consistency in degradation is just exemplary!

Despicable me had me thinking right at the beginning, 'Here we go again, this shows promise, lets wait and watch, I hope it's just not another bad night', so on and so forth. Thankfully, this one did not fail me. In fact, I would go on to say that it is one of the better movies made this year. Humor, great timing by Steve Carrel, the feel good factor, an appropriate length-it has it all!

This movie reminds you of the essence of comedy, the way it all began in the days of Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy. Ever since 'That 70s show' and similar shows took up a lot of airspace on television, we have almost gotten stuck in the rut of situational comedy. What 'Despicable Me' does, is that it reminds us that you don't need come up with clever stuff to make people laugh. Of course, it's all very clever integrally, but the art of making people laugh is more of a knack, and not slave to the wit and intelligence of the writer in coming up with stunning dialogues. It could be just about an audio-visual experience that would suffice....and when you blend the odd killer dialogue on the fly, it just works like a garnish, gives it more appeal.

The editing on this movie is so amazing, they never get stuck in the whole adopted kids drama. Hence, they still maintain the crazy hilarious criminal plot at its best, and still lend the movie that feel good factor.

GO FOR IT! In the meantime, enjoy the trailer.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqUMQfKmg0

No comments: